Monday, August 06, 2007

Living in America

"The sneer on her face and the yank on her dog's leash as she turned and walked into her house left me with no doubt that she did not believe me - that I was just another trifling, riffraff black man looking for an opportunity to rape and rob her, or worse. My expectation was that a police car would soon arrive to question me, so I removed two picture IDs from my wallet and placed them in my shirt pocket. It's not a good idea to reach for your wallet when the police approach you as a suspect. (I suppose that I should just accentuate the positive and be thankful that the police did not come and the woman did not let her dog bite me.)"

In The Baltimore Sun, retired Judge Kenneth Lavon Johnson recounts an experience in suburban Atlanta.

No comments: