Monday, November 12, 2007

It Ain't Me, Babe

"Long before Haynes immersed himself in the '60s, the era made its impression on him. 'I remember going to see "2001" with my dad,' he said. 'I felt I was taking a trip, and that that's all that mattered. When I finally saw "[A] Clockwork Orange," I didn't really understand it all, but it didn't matter. The sheer force of the images and the rhythms and the music and what was disturbing and what was funny and what was ironic about these films was why you went.' Haynes decries the digestibility of much of today's films--they demand nothing from the audience. 'And that wasn't true for a lot of films from this era, and it's not true for Dylan's music.'"

In the Los Angeles Times, Lisa Rosen interviews Todd Haynes prior to the release of his Bob Dylan fantasia, I'm Not There.

No comments: