Sunday, September 18, 2011

"He Stole the Show with the Finest Piece of Oratory Ever to Emerge from the White New Left"

"He was all-American, Midwestern, and original: 'We have lost that mysterious social desire for human equity that from time to time has given us genuine moral drive. We have become a nation of young, bright-eyed, hard-hearted, slim-waisted, bullet-headed make-out artists.' Was Soviet Communist not a rotten system? Of course. But 'my anger only rises to hear some say that sorrow cancels sorrow, or that this one’s shame deposits in that one’s account the right to shamefulness. And others will make of it that I sound mighty anti-American. To these, I say: Don’t blame me for that! Blame those who mouthed my liberal values and broke my American heart.'"

Todd Gitlin in The New Republic eulogizes Carl Oglesby.

No comments: