Tuesday, October 25, 2016

"Who Has Time to Think of Her Shiny Nose When a Battle Is Going On?"

"Her time with Eleanor Roosevelt clearly emboldened her, and by the time they reached Chicago on their way to the West Coast, Pavlichenko had been able to brush aside the 'silly questions' from the women press correspondents about 'nail polish and do I curl my hair.' By Chicago, she stood before large crowds, chiding the men to support the second front. 'Gentlemen,' she said, 'I am 25 years old and I have killed 309 fascist occupants by now. Don't you think, gentlemen, that you have been hiding behind my back for too long?'  Her words settled on the crowd, then caused a surging roar of support."

In a 2013 Smithsonian article, Gilbert King tells the story of Red Army sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko's U.S. tour in 1942.

No comments: