Friday, May 10, 2019

"History Means Interpretation"

"My grandfather, John Carr, describes how his father 'would choose to sit in the main sitting-room, with us around, following our own pursuits, while he wrote his profound thoughts on pieces of paper accumulated around his chair'. It is this memory of the chaos of deep thought, the scraps of paper fluttering about his feet, that I would like to cherish, and in my mind, perhaps sit and watch as he conjures his next book. In reality, I am fortunate enough to observe the work he created take its place on the grand stage of history, and share with my grandfather the hope that it will 'stimulate further study and understanding of the future way forward in the world'."

Helen Carr at New Statesman discusses her great-grandfather, E.H. Carr.

No comments: