Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"But He Had Never Been Immortalized in a Comic Book"

"'So I started walking a lot in New York, not only in Manhattan, but in Queens, in Brooklyn, even in the Bronx.'
"Wandering the city, 'I discovered the world done by Moses,' Mr. Christin said. 'And I thought, "It is so visual, I will treat it like a graphic novel, not an article, because there are so many places I can show."' The book, illustrated by a French artist who lives in Chile, Olivier Balez, tells Moses's story in lushly nostalgic sepia-toned colors: the bridges and beaches and pools and parkways, the clubby back rooms where deals were done, the Batman-worthy lair on Randalls Island where he plotted his campaigns."

Andy Newman in The New York Times talks with Pierre Christin about Christin's Robert Moses: The Master Builder of New York City, a graphic biography.

No comments: