Monday, April 06, 2015

"Where Kids Graduated to Die-Hard Music Fans"

"I was having dinner with a family friend in 2006 when the stores were closing and I was living in New York at the time. My friend walked by the Lincoln Center store on the way to meet me and we got on the subject of Tower Records closing. At the end of the conversation she said, 'Hard to believe it all started in that tiny little drug store,' and I said, 'Excuse me? What are you talking about?' She filled me in on Russ Solomon and how he started selling used 78's out of his father’s drugstore in the '40s and '50s and a light bulb went off. The story starts there and ends with him closing all his stores four decades later. That's a pretty amazing journey for one guy."


Alison Martino in Los Angeles talks with Colin Hanks about his new documentary, All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records.

No comments: